The African Canadian Federation of London and Area (ACFOLA) is a non-profit umbrella organization based in London, Ontario. ACFOLA focuses on skills development, cultural activities, professional networking, social advocacy, education, and economic empowerment. ACFOLA works closely with African community organizations and social service providers to enhance and expand access to quality, community responsive social and economic (employment) development programs for all African Canadians who are underserved and underrepresented.
At present, we are seeking to recruit a Researcher for an economic development project that will address key issues, resources and strategies needed to promote self-employment, entrepreneurship, and small business development:
Position Term: Ten to twelve months, full-time contract position with possibility for extension.
Summary of Duties: Report to the Project Manager and ACFOLA’s Project Steering Committee, provide knowledge, demonstrate research expertise, solve problems, organize and analyze research results, and provide reports.
How do I qualify?
Education and Knowledge:
· Master’s degree or equivalent advanced University education.
· Excellent knowledge of research methodologies, analytical techniques and skills.
Two to three years’ research experience and good understanding of community development and project management work.
Skills and Attributes:
· Demonstrates a strong understanding of African culture, traditions and belief systems
· Ability to speak one or two African languages will be an asset
· Possesses good interpersonal skills and charismatic qualities working with grassroots and African populations
· Ability to research and assess the needs of African Canadians and to better understand their situation
· Possesses excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Possesses excellent organization and time management skills
· Ability to work independently and meet targets, goals, deadlines and benchmarks
· Demonstrates a strong and advanced verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to organize a census, surveys, focus groups, and conversations cafés.
Detailed Duties/Job Specifications:
· Demonstrates understanding and commitment to promoting the vision, mission and purpose of ACFOLA and a willingness to adhere to them
· Promote ACFOLA in the African Canadian and wider community
· Plan, design and conduct research/ data analysis for internal and external stakeholders
· Create and maintain reliable databases as repositories for research and statistical information
· Create, use and manage complex and multiple databases
· Analyse and advise on the impact of policy changes at the federal, provincial and municipal level
· Navigate and extract data from web-based portals and other relevant database systems
· Learn and use specialized web-based applications, including Statistics Canada’s Beyond 20/20 browser
· Design, plan, and implement project’s research activities
· Help develop, assemble and distribute promotional materials and displays as part of awareness creation and sensitization campaigns
· Provide reports, make effective presentations, help prepare newsletters and help design promotional tools like posters, flyers and brochures
· Help prepare weekly/monthly written reports detailing the project’s events and activities
· Attend and participate in meetings to review project plans, activities, and priorities
· Provide assistance for developing projects and writing proposals
· Develop ACFOLA’s Strategic Economic Development Plan (SEDP) to address the needs, situation and economic barriers of African Canadians in London and area
· Performs related duties as assigned
How to Apply: All applicants are required to send in a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2013 @ 5:00 p.m.