The African Canadian Federation of London and Area (ACFOLA) is a non-profit umbrella organization based in London, Ontario. ACFOLA focuses on skills development, cultural activities, professional networking, social advocacy, education, and economic empowerment. ACFOLA works closely with African community organizations and social service providers to enhance and expand access to quality, community responsive social and economic (employment) development programs for all African Canadians who are underserved and underrepresented.
At present, we are seeking to recruit a Project Assistant for an economic development project that will address key issues, resources and strategies needed to promote self-employment, entrepreneurship, and small business development.
Position Term: Ten to twelve months Full Time contract position with possibility for extension
Summary of Duties: Reports to ACFOLA’s Project Manager, providing clerical and administrative supports, assisting in research and data management, problem solving, organizing community conversations, conducting outreach and membership drives, maintaining all contact information and data relevant to marketing and research activities.
How do I qualify?
Education and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent advanced University education.
- Experience/knowledge of office administrative processes and procedures.
Three years’ administrative experience including but not limited to the following skills and abilities: creative thinking, problem solving, planning, observing and providing support, and networking.
Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of African culture, traditions and belief systems
- Ability to identify and facilitate connections with the African Canadian population
- Ability to speak one or two African languages will be an asset
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and charismatic qualities working with grassroots and African populations
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize information in a clear and concise manner
- Possesses speedy and accurate typing skills
- Possesses excellent organization, customer service, and time management skills
- Must have excellent computer skills and knowledge of e-mail platforms, webmail, MS Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint), database systems, and internet web-based applications
- Ability to write excellent reports (daily, weekly or monthly) detailing the project events and activities; and prepare overheads, charts and other graphics
- Ability to work independently and meet targets, goals, deadlines and benchmarks
Detailed Duties/Job Specifications:
· Demonstrates understanding and commitment to promoting the vision, mission and purpose of ACFOLA and a willingness to adhere to them
· Promote ACFOLA in the African Canadian and wider community
· Provide excellent community development, data management, secretarial, and administrative support to Project Manager and staff
· Assist with planning, coordinating and implementing project activities
· Create and maintain a reliable and well-kept database for quick access to contact listing, easy tracking/retrieval of information, and speedy generation of reports
· Maintain contact information/data relevant to marketing and research activities
· Compile directories, email addresses, mailing lists, and contact information for African Canadians in London and area
· Help with researching and identifying best practices
· Help with developing plans, researching information about community organizations, funders and foundations
· Help collect, process, analyse, and present data on ACFOLA’s target populations
· Assist with organizing a census, surveys, focus groups, and administrative records
· Organize, attend and actively participate in weekly and monthly meetings
· Organize conversation cafés, meetings, workshops and conferences
· Develop, assemble and distribute promotional materials and displays as part of awareness creation and sensitization campaigns
· Prepare reports, make effective presentations, prepare newsletters and design promotional tools like posters, flyers and brochures
· Design, maintain and author content on ACFOLA’s website
· Learn about and use web-based applications like Google analytics for tracking website performance and visits, and for generating relevant statistics and reports
· Navigate and extract data from web-based portals and other relevant database systems
· Performs related duties as assigned
How to Apply: All applicants are required to send in a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2013 @ 5:00 p.m.