The African Canadian Federation of London and Area (ACFOLA) is a non-profit umbrella organization based in London, Ontario. ACFOLA focuses on skills development, cultural activities, professional networking, social advocacy, education, and economic empowerment. ACFOLA works closely with African community organizations and social service providers to enhance and expand access to quality, community responsive social and economic (employment) development programs for all African Canadians who are underserved and underrepresented.
At present, we are seeking to recruit a Project Manager for an economic development project that will address key issues, resources and strategies needed to promote self-employment, entrepreneurship, and small business development. This position reports to the Project Steering Committee and the Board of Directors.
Position Term: Ten to twelve months, full-time contract position with possibility for extension.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities: In this role, you will:
· Provide leadership, managerial, research and administrative expertise
· Be responsible for planning, leading, and managing the implementation of all aspects of the project
· Manage relationships with various community partners and other stakeholders
· Organize and analyze community conversations; manage outreach and membership drives
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
How do I qualify?
Education and Knowledge:
· At least a Master’s degree or equivalent advanced University education
· Working knowledge of project management methodologies and best practices
· Excellent knowledge of research methodologies, analytical techniques and skills
A minimum of three years of related experience in community development and project management, including but not limited to the following skills and abilities: creative visioning, strategic problem solving, project planning, and networking.
Skills and Attributes:
· Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and charismatic qualities working with grassroots and African populations
· Demonstrates a strong understanding of African culture, traditions and belief systems
· Ability to speak one or two African languages will be an asset
· Highly developed influencing, negotiating, communications and presentation skills
· Possesses excellent organization and time management skills; and, excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office Suite of programs and Database Management software
· Able to work independently and meet targets, goals, deadlines and benchmarks
· Demonstrates strong and advanced verbal and written communication skills
· Able to establish community partnerships and collaborative work environment in order to achieve project objectives
· Able to do research, develop projects, write proposals and obtain funding for community and/or social projects.
Detailed Duties/Job Specifications:
· Demonstrates understanding and commitment to promoting the vision, mission and purpose of ACFOLA and a willingness to adhere to them
· Promote ACFOLA in the African Canadian and wider community through the media to increase its visibility
· Provide excellent leadership, managerial and administrative supports as Project Manager
· Lead the day to day management and administration of projects
· Build the economic capacity of ACFOLA; serve as conduit for micro-financing and small business loans and supports, and create opportunities to access existing employment supports and programs
· Manage and assess the needs of African Canadians and better understand their situation
· Identify employment barriers for African Canadians, develop job opportunities and/ or refer them for help through employment and business agencies
· Design, plan, coordinate and implement project activities
· Oversee the maintenance of reliable databases as repositories for research, statistical and other information
· Develop, assemble and supervise the distribution of promotional materials and displays as part of awareness creation and sensitization campaigns
· Provide reports, make effective presentations, prepare newsletters and design promotional tools like posters, flyers and brochures
· Review content on ACFOLA’s website
· Prepare weekly/monthly written reports detailing the project’s activities
· Oversee the organization of a census, surveys, focus groups, conversations cafés and conferences
· Call, attend, participate in and chair meetings to review the project’s plan, activities, and priorities
· Oversee research, develop projects, write proposals, and obtain funding to meet identified needs
· Lead the development and implementation of ACFOLA’s Strategic Economic Development Plan (SEDP) to address the needs, situation, and economic barriers of African Canadians in London and area
· Perform related duties as assigned
How to Apply: All applicants are required to send in a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2013 @ 5:00 p.m.